If you will not be put off by the slimy nature of aloe vera gel, you have signed your skin up for a dose of goodness. Aloe vera has found so many uses in the world of skincare and has been incorporated into some products like face wash, toners, moisturizers, and eye creams.
Aloe vera is a great moisturizer that doubles to cleanse, smoothen, soften, and keep your skin naturally glowing. It is also packed with protective functions like protecting your skin from the damage of the harsh sun rays.
Here’s an invitation to treat your skin to goodness. You need an aloe vera face wash in your routine. You can get one in a store or collect aloe gel and formulate yours at home, just the way your skin will like it.
How to Make DIY Aloe Vera Face Wash at Home
1. The ingredients
- To make a DIY aloe vera face wash at home, you’ll need the aloe vera plant from which you’ll collect the gel.
- Castile soap is the best option for a homemade soap because it is gentle on the skin and does not contain harsh chemicals. Moreover, castile soap is a good hydrator, and this makes it suitable for every skin type.
- For extra hydration, you’ll need oils like jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is a non-comedogenic oil that works well for every skin type. More so, it’ll serve as a carrier oil to dilute the essential oils you’ll add to your face wash.
- Vitamin E oil, a humectant, will also help to hydrate your skin, fade hyperpigmentation, and fight signs of aging. Additionally, vitamin E oil will create a protective seal over your skin that will rather absorb the harmful UV rays and keep your skin protected.
- Essential oils in the formula will add fragrance and provide extra antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits. You can add two or three different oils like chamomile essential oil, rose essential oil, lavender essential oil, or orange essential oil.
Most importantly, since your formula contains carrier and essential oils, you should follow the dilution formula of one tablespoon of carrier oil to 3-4 drops of essential oil.
- Distilled water or rosewater for dilution.
- Similarly, you’ll need honey in your face wash. Raw honey speeds up the healing of wounds and balances your skin to inhibit bacteria growth. This makes it good for acne skin.
- You can add other ingredients like vitamin C, rice water, emulsifier, or any other ingredient, according to the needs and demands of your skin.
- Finally, you’ll need a pump bottle to collect your face wash.
2. Collecting the gel from aloe vera leaves
Follow these steps to collect the gel from your aloe vera leaves:
- Cut off the number of leaves you’ll need from the plant. Use a sharp knife so you don’t have to apply pressure and damage the whole plant
- Then, take your leaves to a running tap and hold them vertically with the open end facing downwards. Allow the yellow liquid pouring from the open end to pour out
- The liquid is not the gel but a laxative juice that will do your face no good. While the juice is oozing out, rinse your leaves carefully
- Cut off the top end too to remove the yellow juice, then, rinse and leave the leaves to dry
- Afterward, cut open the leaves (one leaf at a time) along the sides and remove the spines
- After removing the spines, remove the top and bottom skin and collect the thick slabs of gel
- Thereafter, rinse the gel to get rid of any residue of the yellow latex
- Gather the gel in a bowl and store away the excess in a glass bowl
3. The making process
Now that all your ingredients are ready, you can go ahead with mixing your face wash. Follow this guide to make a face wash that will last you a week.
- In a glass bowl, mix ½ cup of your aloe vera gel (preferably half mashed) with ½ cup of distilled water or rosewater until you get an even mixture
- Then, add ¼ cup or 2 tablespoons of castile soap
- Thereafter, add one tablespoon of jojoba oil, 6 drops of vitamin E oil, 4 drops each of the essential oils and stir well
- You should have a liquid consistency with all the ingredients well dissolved
- Afterward, pour the mix into the pump bottle. There, you have a face wash
- Use it every day, two to three times a day
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good?
Aloe vera face wash is packed with hydrating and moisturizing ingredients that work to address various skin concerns. It works as a light face cleanser and leaves no residues on your skin. It helps to lift off oil, dirt, and grime.
Furthermore, its ingredients have humectant, emollient, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties that help to improve the appearance and texture of your skin.
Aloe vera is packed with powerful antioxidants that speed up healing and protect your skin from sunburns. Aloe vera face wash is good for every skin type as it is mild, soothing, moisturizing, and highly hydrating.
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good for Oily Skin?
Aloe vera face wash is great for oily skin because it absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves no residues that can clog your pores. Jojoba oil, one of the oils in the formula, is lightweight and non-comedogenic.
Contrary to general belief, rather than causing acne, it can help regulate sebum level and reduce unnecessary shine and keep your skin hydrated.
Moreover, it is a powerful cleanser that penetrates your pores and removes excess oil and any debris that can clog your pores. Daily use of aloe vera face wash will give you less greasy and moisturized skin.
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good for Dry Skin?
If you need a hydration boost, then, you should swap your regular face wash with aloe vera face wash. Aloe vera gel is naturally hydrating. It absorbs quickly into your skin and plumps your skin. In addition to this, it contains vitamin E oil, a natural humectant.
Also, jojoba oil is very hydrating. Using aloe vera face wash every morning and evening will smoothen and soften rough skin patches.
Dry skin is sometimes accompanied by the development of fine lines and wrinkles; this hydrating face wash can help improve the appearance of these signs of aging.
Furthermore, it can help soothe itching, brighten dull complexion, make your skin supple, and give you a dewy glow.
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good for Sensitive Skin?
Aloe vera is a soothing ingredient found in many skincare products made for people with sensitive skin. Aloe vera face wash calms sensitive skin and helps reduce skin inflammation.
The antibacterial properties make your skin inhabitable for the acne-causing bacteria and reduce skin irritations.
Additionally, as a good hydrator, it replenishes skin moisture and improves your skin’s natural barrier, keeping irritants out and moisture in. This face wash is mild enough to cater to the peculiarities of sensitive skin and keep it soft and glowing.
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good for Acne?
Yes, it is. Aloe vera face wash contains non-comedogenic ingredients that will help acne. It hydrates your skin and brings a balance in skin moisture and oil levels.
Aloe vera is a potent antibacterial that makes your skin inhabitable for the breeding of the bacteria that causes acne.
It helps to treat inflammatory acne with its anti-inflammatory properties. As a good deep cleanser, it removes impurities that are the cause of acne breakouts.
Is Aloe Vera Face Wash Good for Dark Spots?
Aloe vera has the potential to fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation scars and improve your complexion. Aloe vera gel contains aloesin, a compound that helps to lighten your skin.
Incorporating aloe vera face wash in your skincare routine can help stimulate collagen synthesis. In addition, it can help inhibit the overproduction of melanin that can lead to hyperpigmentation.
Other Benefits of Using Aloe Vera on Your Face
Goodbye to dark circles
Dark circles can be a result of stress, lack of sleep, allergies, or sun exposure. It’s a common cosmetic problem that can be treated with aloe vera.
Aloe vera gel contains antioxidants like vitamin E which can help brighten the skin around your eyes and banish dark undereye circles. Applying aloe vera to your eye area can also reduce eye puffiness.
Salicylic acid, an exfoliating acid, is naturally found in aloe vera. This makes the gel a good and gentle exfoliant. It also helps to remove dead skin cells and improve the texture and complexion of your skin.
Aloe vera is very soothing. You can take advantage of this benefit and use it to treat sunburn. Moreover, it contains vitamin E which creates an extra layer of protection over your skin that absorbs sun rays and prevents the formation of sunburns.
Treatment of cold sores
The treatment of cold sores is a plus advantage of using aloe vera gel on your face. While it soothes sunburns, it also boosts the healing of cold sores by reducing healing time.
Can You Apply Aloe Vera to Your Face Every Day?
Yes, you can use aloe vera on your face every day. You can conveniently use aloe vera twice a day on your face without fear of any reactions.
Also, aloe vera face wash is mild and hydrating. Using it every day will help improve skin conditions and soften your skin.
Are There Side Effects of Using Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera is generally mild on the skin. However, on first contact, you may experience slight inconveniences like a rash, itching, or a tingling sensation. This should not persist for long but if it does, discontinue the use of aloe vera.
How often should you use aloe vera face wash?
Use aloe vera face wash two to three times a day to see results. Like every skincare product, you need to be consistent with the use of this face wash. Incorporate it into your morning and evening skincare routine.
In the mornings, it helps to cleanse your skin of the excess oil secreted during sleep. During your evening routine, the face wash helps to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from the day.
Can you leave aloe vera on your face overnight?
Yes, you can. Aloe vera quickly absorbs into your skin and leaves no residue. Overnight use of aloe vera is good for spot treating acne, improving the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation scars.
How long does it take for aloe vera to work?
How long it takes for you to see visible results with aloe vera depends on what you’re looking to treat. For skin hydration, you can feel the effect almost immediately.
Aloe vera improves the appearance of sunburns and dark spots within days to weeks if you’re consistent with use.
Aloe vera face wash is a natural face wash that is compatible with every skin type. You can formulate your face wash to suit your skin concerns with a DIY recipe.
The basic and essential ingredients in the face wash include aloe vera gel, castile soap, carrier oil, essential oils, and honey. All these ingredients work together to keep your skin moisturized, hydrated, and glowing.
If you’re looking to swap the chemicals in your regular face wash, aloe vera face wash is a good choice.
Thanks for reading.
Check Serum101 to read relevant articles on natural skin care products that help you achieve your skin goals.