Coconut oil is a natural remedy that can be used for a variety of purposes, including cooking, moisturizing, and beauty. It is one of the best options for those of us who need an all-around solution.
Coconut oil is a healthy choice that moisturizes dry skin, soothes and protects the skin from harmful free radicals and UV rays. It can even be used as a possible cure for acne.
You don’t have to worry about the greasy feeling either—coconut oil is absorbed into the skin quickly, leaving behind a smooth, soft complexion.
This article gives you a breakdown of the several benefits of coconut oil on the face and how you can use it to give your face a healthy glow. Let’s get right into it.
1. Moisturizes Skin
The lauric acid in coconut oil has hydrating and soothing benefits for the face. These fatty acids penetrate deep into your facial tissues to hydrate and soothe your skin cells. They also help to lock in moisture by forming a barrier on the outermost layer of your skin.
2. Acne Treatment
The antibacterial properties in coconut oil help to minimize acne breakouts on the skin by fighting against acne-causing bacteria. For instance, it contains lauric acid, which helps to cleanse your pores by removing excess oil and bacteria.
Coconut oil’s anti-inflammatory properties also help to soothe inflammation, redness, and other irritations accompanied by severe acne.
3. Soothes Skin
As stated earlier, coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is a great moisturizer and soothing agent. It also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce irritations caused by acne and other skin conditions.
4. Reduces Inflammation
The lauric acid found in coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties and therefore helps to reduce inflammation in the body. It also contains a high level of vitamin E, an anti-inflammatory agent that helps to block a group of enzymes that cause inflammation.
Using coconut oil regularly on your face will make you look younger than before since it reduces inflammation and also fights against the skin condition that may cause it.
5. Cleanses Skin
Unlike most store-bought moisturizers, coconut oil not only moisturizes your skin but also cleanses it. You can also use coconut oil to replace your cleanser and make-up remover, as it does a fantastic job of cleansing the face.
All you need to do is squeeze about 5 drops of coconut oil on a cotton ball or pad and wipe your face with it. The result is clear shiny skin free of makeup and other impurities.
6. It’s Fast-Absorbing
Coconut oil, whether or not cold-pressed, is absorbed by the body at a much faster rate than other oils. It penetrates easily into the skin, to moisturize and protect it from environmental factors like pollution and sun damage.
7. Natural Sunscreen
Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen with SPF benefits for the face. It doesn’t replace your regular sunscreen, but it provides an additional layer of sun protection for your face.
So ensure to always wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or more before you go outdoors to protect your face from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
8. Prevents Aging Signs
According to research, the most common cause of premature aging is oxidation caused by ultraviolet rays, free radicals, and pollution. Using harsh skincare products on your face can also lead to early signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles.
However, coconut oil can help to prevent and even reverse these effects. As mentioned earlier, coconut oil contains antioxidants that can help fight off free radicals that can cause aging signs.
It also contains fatty acids which help to boost collagen and elastin production in your skin. As a result, your face becomes more elastic and less prone to aging signs like wrinkles and fine lines.
9. Relieves Eczema
Due to its hydrating and antimicrobial properties, coconut oil is an excellent product for moisturizing the skin and relieving skin conditions, like eczema.
It is also rich in antioxidants, which can help protect your skin from free radicals and harsh environmental factors, thereby reducing the severity of eczema symptoms.
10. Exfoliates Dry Skin
Coconut oil is a natural ingredient that can help to exfoliate your skin by removing dead skin cells. It also helps to moisturize your skin, which explains why it is very popular as a home remedy for dry or flaky skin.
Additionally, the antioxidant properties in coconut oil help to stimulate the production of new cells and regenerate damaged tissue. To get the best results, you can use it with other natural ingredients like brown sugar and honey to exfoliate your skin.
How to Use Coconut Oil on the Face
Moisturize with coconut oil
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that makes skin soft and smooth and helps boost collagen production, which helps keep skin firm and flexible. It also helps balance your skin’s pH levels, thereby preventing it from looking dry and damaged.
How to do it:
- Pour a thin layer of coconut oil into your hands and rub together to make it warm.
- Apply in circular motions to your face with your fingertips.
- Massage it into your skin for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave it to soak into your skin or leave it overnight if desired.
To get the best results from your coconut oil, make sure you use it consistently and in small amounts.
Coconut oil as face cleanser
Coconut oil is an excellent cleanser with benefits for the face. It penetrates the skin and softens it, making it easier to remove dead skin cells and other impurities from your face.
How to do it:
- Wash your hands with clean water, then squeeze a small amount of coconut oil into your palms.
- Apply the oil to your face, making sure to cover all areas.
- Massage your face using small circular motions (avoid your eyes and mouth area).
- Let it sit for 6-7 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Under eye cream
One of the best ways to make your skin look younger is by using coconut oil as an under-eye cream. This helps to reduce puffiness, fine lines, and wrinkles around your eyes.
By doing this regularly, you can help prevent signs of aging from occurring or if you already have eye bags, they can be treated more effectively.
- Get a jar of coconut oil then wash your hands thoroughly.
- Pour a few drops of organic coconut oil on a cotton ball or pad.
- Gently apply the oil to your under eyes (apply the oil in small dots for easy absorption).
- Starting from the inner corner of your under-eye, apply another layer of coconut oil until you reach the outer corner.
- Massage the oil into your skin with your ring finger (avoid using your thumb).
- Let it sit for about an hour or use it overnight for best results.
If you are looking for a natural way to remove your makeup, try using coconut oil instead of conventional products. It removes makeup quickly and easily without causing irritation or redness to your eyes.
How to do it:
- Get a jar or container of coconut oil.
- Apply a pea-sized amount of coconut oil to your face. You can use your fingers or a cotton ball to apply it.
- Massage the oil into your skin for at least 30 seconds.
- Gently use a clean towel or washcloth to wipe off excess.
- Use warm water to wash it off before applying any other products.
Homemade face scrub
Making your own coconut oil face scrub is a great way to save money and do something fun. It is also easy and doesn’t require any special equipment. All you need is coconut oil and a few ingredients from your kitchen.
Ingredients: coconut oil, sugar, honey, lemon juice, essential oils.
How to do it:
- Pour 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of coconut oil into a small container.
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a few drops of essential oils to the container.
- Add more sugar if needed to get the paste-like consistency.
- Mix thoroughly to form a smooth paste.
- Rinse your face with warm water. Do not pat dry with a towel.
- Take a pea-sized amount of the face scrub in your hands then.
- Apply the scrub to your wet face and massage with your fingers in gentle motions.
- Massage for 30 seconds to 1 minute and then massage your neck if desired.
- Wash your face and neck with lukewarm water, then pat dry with a clean towel.
- Store the remaining face scrub in an airtight container for later use.
Can coconut oil reduce blackheads?
Yes, it can. Coconut oil is a very effective ingredient that can help to reduce the number of blackheads and whiteheads on your face.
It is a powerful moisturizer that acts as an exfoliant by removing dead skin cells, dirt, and germs from your pores, thereby helping to prevent acne breakouts.
What can you mix with coconut oil to cleanse your skin?
Baking soda. Baking soda is a common household product that can be used to cleanse the skin. It is inexpensive, readily available, and very easy to use.
Mix coconut oil, baking soda, and distilled water in a small bowl or cup, and apply the mixture to your face. Leave it on your face for 5 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Can coconut oil moisturize your face?
Yes, it can. Coconut oil is good for many things, including moisturizing your face, healing your skin, and treating acne.
It is especially beneficial when it comes to treating dry patches on the skin, as it contains healthy fatty acids which help moisturize your skin by hydrating it and sealing in moisture on your skin’s surface.
Coconut oil is one of the most useful ingredients in the world. It’s used to prevent aging signs, reduce inflammation, soothe skin and protect against sun damage. When used on the skin, coconut oil is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.
It contains substances that kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi; reduce inflammation, and improve acne. It also cleanses the skin while protecting from exposure to sunlight and free radicals.
Additionally, coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that helps to keep your skin hydrated and supple. You can cleanse your face with it or use it as a facial moisturizer. You can also use it as an eye cream to reduce puffiness around your eyes.
Thanks for reading.
Visit Serum101 for more useful articles on coconut oil and other natural ingredients.