Anti-frizz serums are hair products that are made and formulated to help smoothen and give your hair the perfect shine. Are you wondering how to use an anti-frizz serum on your hair? This article entails all the information you need to guide your application process.
Dry and frizzy-looking hair is often caused by a lack of hydration on the hair. Another factor that contributes to this is dry air and humidity and the only way to fight against this is by getting yourself a product that works to protect against dehydration by dry air and humidity.
An anti-frizz serum contains silicone and this is an ingredient that helps to control frizziness in the hair. It helps to maintain your natural curls while strengthening your hair strands.
It also contains hydrolyzed proteins; this helps to protect the hair against dry hair and other factors that cause frizziness. Ahead is a guide on how to use it.
How to Use Anti-Frizz Serum
Hair treatments are generally applied to clean, damp hair. However, you can apply your anti-frizz serum on both dry and wet hair. Applying your hair serum properly will help you achieve the most from using it.
Here’s a general way to properly apply anti-frizz serum to your hair.
1. Clean Your Hair
Start the process by washing your hair with a gentle shampoo and deep conditioner. Massage your scalp and ensure that you cover all your hair. Now rinse your hair with cool, clean water.
After washing your hair, use a clean towel to remove excess water from your hair. Be gentle while doing this so that you don’t lose some hair strands. Do not dry your hair totally with a towel. You need your hair to be damp for the application of your anti-frizz serum.
2. Apply Your Hair Serum
After washing and removing excess water from your hair, apply your anti-frizz serum on your hair.
How to do it:
- Squeeze out 2 drops of your anti frizz serum into your palm.
- Rub your palms together for 5 seconds; to warm up the serum.
- Apply the serum on your hair gently, starting from the ends of your hair strands to the middle of the strands.
- Ensure that you distribute the product evenly with your palms.
- Don’t apply the serum to your scalp.
- Avoid using too much serum on your hair as this may cause your hair to look greasy.
- Pulling through your hair or rubbing the serum to your hair roughly can damage your hair strands, avoid it.
3. Comb and Style
After applying serum on your damp hair, use a wide-tooth comb to gently comb your hair. This will help to ensure the even distribution of the serum to your hair. After combing your hair, style your hair as you usually would and you are good to go.
How to Use Anti-Frizz Serum on Dry Hair
If you already have dry and frizzy hair, it is not advisable to wash your hair every day as this will strip more oils from your hair and make it drier. To apply anti-frizz serum to your hair, you do not need to wash it with water and soap.
How to do it:
- Start by using dry shampoo on your hair to remove and absorb all the excess oil in your scalp.
- Apply your anti-frizz serum by spraying some on the ends of your hair strands.
- Then apply up to your roots.
- Doing this allows the moisturizing ingredient in the serum to settle on areas of the hair that needs it most.
- Start by applying a little of the hair serum and progress later.
- Don’t use too much serum on your hair.
- Avoid touching your hair too much after the whole process as this can cause your hair to look frizzy.
How to Use Anti Frizz Serum After Showering
When showering, shampoo and condition your hair the regular way. Use your anti-frizz serum after bathing and be careful not to apply too much of the serum to your hair.
Comb through your hair using a wide-tooth comb— to ensure even distribution of the hair serum from the middle of your strands to the ends. You can go ahead to use other styling products on your hair and style it to your taste.
Tips for curly hair:
- After washing your hair in preparation for applying your anti frizz hair serum, dry your hair using a t-shirt instead of a towel. This will help to set your curls.
- Turn your head upside down and pack your curls in the t-shirt. Wrap the shirt around your head so it doesn’t come off.
- Allow your hair to sit in the t-shirt for about ten minutes.
- Dry your hair either by air drying or by using a blow dryer with a diffuser
- After applying the serum to your hair, turn your head upside down and scrunch your curls up towards your roots; do this to help your curls form naturally.
- Minimize touching your hair after scrunching your curls.
How to Make Anti-Frizz Serum at Home
If you are low on cash and would like to make your anti-frizz serum at home, here are the ingredients you need and how to do it.
Ingredients needed for this:
- Argan oil
- Jojoba oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Geranium oil
- A 2-ounce Dropper bottle
Argan oil is a natural hair care oil that contains antioxidants, vitamin E, and other essential nutrients such as fatty acids. Using argan oil on your hair promotes healthy hair growth and shiny hair.
Essential oils such as lavender oil and geranium oil are natural hair care ingredients that help to nourish the scalp, condition the hair and soften the hair. Lavender oil also helps to reduce breakage and hair loss.
All these ingredients combined give a sweet, floral scent.
Instructions on how to do it:
- Insert a mini funnel into the dropper bottle.
- Pour 1½ ounce of argan oil.
- Add ¼ ounce of jojoba oil into the mix.
- Add 10 drops of geranium oil and 12 drops of lavender oil into the mix.
- There you have your homemade anti frizz serum.
To use your homemade anti-frizz serum, follow the instructions on how to use an anti-frizz serum as stated earlier in this article.
How Often Should You Use A Hair Serum?
The right frequency of your anti-frizz hair serum depends solely on the health of your hair, your hair type, and your way of styling your hair. If you have damaged hair and use hot styling tools often, then it is only right that you use your anti-frizz serum often.
If your hair is dry and curly as well, you should apply anti-frizz serum to your hair often too to keep your hair healthy and shiny. However, if you have normal hair that doesn’t fall in the previously mentioned categories, it is only ideal to use hair serum once every week.
Other Useful Application Tips
- Always pick an anti frizz serum that works for your hair type.
- Before styling your hair with hot styling tools, ensure that you use a heat protectant spray on your hair.
- Keeping your hair vibrant will help to save you from using more serum.
- You can apply a drop of the anti frizz serum to your hair after styling it.
- Start application from the back of your hair and move to the front of your hair.
- Start with applying little and then progress to using more as you apply.
- You can always apply more serum when there is a need for it, especially if your hair still looks dry and frizzy. Squeeze a drop into your palm, rub your palms together and apply it to the sides and front of your hair.
- If your serum makes your hair look greasy and feel heavy after use, you may be using a serum that doesn’t work for your hair type. Consider replacing your anti frizz serum.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use anti-frizz serum on dry hair?
Yes, you can. If you have dry hair and can’t wash it every day, you can apply your anti-frizz serum on dry hair by using a dry shampoo to first absorb excess oil from your hair and then apply your anti-frizz serum.
Can you towel dry your hair after applying anti-frizz serum on it?
No, you can’t. Dry your hair before using your anti-frizz serum. Do not use a towel to dry your hair after using your anti-frizz serum.
Doing this will allow the towel to soak the anti-frizz serum you have applied to your hair.
Should you use your anti-frizz serum before or after bathing?
Use your anti-frizz serum after bathing if you will be washing your hair in the shower.
Using anti-frizz serum on your hair and then washing your hair in the shower while bathing will wash off the serum.
Anti-frizz serums are hair products that are made and formulated to help smoothen and give your hair the perfect shine. An anti-frizz serum contains silicone and this is an ingredient that helps to control frizziness in the hair. It helps to maintain your natural curls while strengthening your hair strands.
An anti-frizz serum also contains hydrolyzed proteins; this helps to protect the hair against dry hair and other factors that cause frizziness. Ahead is a guide on how to use it.
Applying your hair serum properly will help you achieve the most from using it. Follow the instructions in the article to make your anti-frizz serum and also how to use it correctly for smooth, healthy hair.
Thanks for reading.
Visit serum101 for more guides and hair tips to improve your hair care game and keep your hair healthy.