Dealing with dry skin can be uncomfortable and that is why you need your body lotion always. If you are wondering how to use body lotion the correct way to moisturize and keep your skin healthy, you will get your answer ahead.
Naturally, the skin is prone to get dry when it is not properly moisturized and other factors such as climate can also cause the body to be dry. The best way to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized is by using body lotion as body lotion will help you to restore moisture to your skin.
Using a lotion that works for your skin will help to make your skin look younger by making it soft, smooth, and supple. Body lotions surely do have a way to make your body feel good along with a soft fragrance that will also make your body smell good.
Do you also know that regular use of your body lotion on your skin will help to smoothen the rough skin on certain areas of your body such as the elbow and knee? Follow the guide ahead to help you use your lotion to achieve the maximum result.
How to Use Body Lotion in Your Skincare Routine
Utilizing a proper skincare routine with your body lotion will help to moisturize your skin and give it a healthy glow. To use a body lotion, get one that works for your skin. Your facial skin type might be different from that of your body so do not assume your skin type is based on your face.
To help you in choosing the right body lotion for your skin, you should look out for certain active ingredients when purchasing your lotion. If you have normal skin, ensure that the lotion contains ingredients like vitamin C, vitamin E, and licorice.
If your skin is oily, it is best to opt for a lightweight lotion with ingredients such as witch hazel; as this will help to reduce excess oil production in the skin as well as unclog skin pores to prevent the formation of acne.
If you have dry skin, look for lotions that contain shea butter or coconut oil as they are moisturizing ingredients that will help to restore your skin’s moisture. Avoid body lotions that contain alcohol.
If your skin is sensitive, look for ingredients like echinacea, vitamin B, and avocado oil as they help to soothe the skin. Never opt for lotions that contain dyes, chemicals, and perfumes.
If you would like smooth and soft skin, it is important to use your lotion correctly. Below is a guide to assist you in properly applying body lotion to your skin.
1. Prepare Your Body for Lotion
You need to prepare your skin properly for the application of your body lotion. This will help you achieve the most benefits. Prepare your body by cleaning and removing dirt from your skin before you apply your lotion.
How to do it:
- Get in the shower.
- Use a cleanser that works for your skin to wash your body gently.
- Scrub your body in a circular motion.
- Do this using a clean washcloth for about 5 minutes.
- After scrubbing, rinse your body with clean warm water.
- Ensure that you rinse off every bit of cleanser from your body.
Now that your body is clean, you can move on to the next step.
Note: Ensure that you do not shower for too long, 5 to 10 minutes of shower is okay and will prevent you from stripping your skin of its natural oils.
You can also exfoliate your body once or twice weekly to remove dead skin cells from your body and help your lotion to be more effective.
2. Use a Clean Towel to Dry Your Skin
After you have washed your body, you want to remove the water dripping on your body. Use a clean towel to pat your body till you are no longer dripping with water. Do not completely dry your skin with a towel.
Ensure that your skin is still damp. Pat yourself dry with a clean, soft towel until you are damp as this will help your skin absorb your body lotion faster and fully. Applying your body lotion to damp skin will also help you to lock in moisture on your skin.
3. Apply Your Body Lotion
Apply your body lotion on your skin immediately after dampening your body with a towel. The skin absorbs body lotion faster when it is damp.
How to do it:
- Dish out your lotion into your palm.
- Warm up the lotion by rubbing your palms together.
- Start applying the serum on your skin from the bottom to the top.
- Ensure that you distribute the serum evenly on all parts of your body.
- Massage the lotion into your skin in a circular motion.
- You can also do this in slow weep motion.
Note: Only pump out lotion that is enough to cover a section of your body, do not pump out lotion to cover your whole body all at once. Focus on one section at a time; to ensure even coverage.
Also, focus more on areas of your skin that are particularly dry, especially the knees and elbows.
4. Allow Your Body to Absorb the Lotion
Don’t be in such a hurry to leave the bathroom, ensure that you allow your body to properly absorb the lotion before leaving to put your clothes on. Wait for about 5 minutes before opening your bathroom door.
The humid air in the bathroom helps to keep your pores open and this allows your body to soak in more lotion. Wearing your clothes immediately after moisturizing will wipe off the lotion and this automatically means that you get no moisturizing benefits from using the lotion.
How to Apply Body Lotion on Your Back
If you have ever wondered how to apply lotion on your back, below are two different methods to try.
1. Use Your Forearms
If you have flexible shoulders, then this technique is perfect for you. It does not require any special tool.
How to do it:
- Squeeze out a thin line of lotion on your forearms starting from your elbow to your knuckles.
- Drop your hand by your hip and start to move them behind you
- Get the tip of your hands by your lower back.
- Bend your elbows to allow your hand to travel up your back
- Gently rub the lotion on your forearms all over your back.
2. Using a Spatula
Here is another way of applying your lotion to your back. You will need a plastic spatula for this method.
How to do it:
- Squeeze a coin-sized lotion onto your plastic spatula.
- Reach over your head with the spatula and place it on the center of your back.
- Begin to brush the lotion all over your back.
- Apply more lotion on your spatula if there is a need for it.
- Ensure even coverage all over the areas of your back that you can’t reach with your hands.
- Now apply lotion on your shoulders and lower back using your hand.
Can You Use Body Lotion on Your Face?
You can’t and shouldn’t use body lotion on your face because the skin covering the face is delicate. Therefore, you should use separate lotions for your body and face as body lotion is formulated to be used on the body and not the face.
Using the lotion on your face might irritate your skin. You need a gentle lotion for your face. Get yourself a face lotion to work on your facial needs such anti-aging lotion.
When to Use Body Lotion
Below are the six best times to moisturize your skin.
- Use your body lotion after taking your bath as the body thirst for moisture the most at this time and also, the skin absorbs lotion faster when it is damp. Apply your lotion after the shower to lock in moisture on your skin and keep your body hydrated.
- Also, apply your body lotion before going to exercise outdoors. This will help to prepare your skin for any harsh weather and also protect your skin from getting dry due to cold or dry air.
- Shaving exposes new skin layers to dryness, therefore applying body lotion on your skin after shaving is the best thing to do to prevent new layers of skin from dryness.
- Apply body lotion on your skin before going to bed as this will prevent moisture from being pulled out as you enjoy your sleep.
- Constant washing of the hand and the use of sanitizer can cause the hand to become dry. Apply lotion on your skin to lock in moisture after washing your hand.
- Use your body lotion after exfoliating as this will help to moisturize and soothe the freshly exposed skin layer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use body lotion for your underarm?
Yes, you can. You can use your body lotion to moisturize your underarm. This will help to prevent your underarm from blackening.
Can you use body lotion on your breast?
Yes, you can. You can apply your body lotion to your breast. The chest and breasts are part of the body and you need to moisturize them as well, applying body lotion on your breasts will help to moisturize them.
Can you use body lotion in your private area?
No, you can’t. Do not use body lotion in your private region.
Using body lotion on your private part might irritate the skin covering it and might cause further problems. There are lotions and creams formulated to moisturize your private area.
Dealing with dry skin can be uncomfortable and that is why you need your body lotion always. Naturally, the skin is prone to get dry when it is not properly moisturized and other factors such as climate can also cause the body to be dry.
The best way to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized is by using body lotion as body lotion will help you to restore moisture to your skin.
Follow the guide ahead to help you use your body lotion to achieve the maximum result.
Thanks for reading.
Visit serum101 for more useful guides on how to use your skincare products.