Coconut oil is extracted from the raw flesh of matured coconuts and is also known as the “best natural moisturizer for the face”. This miracle oil can be used for numerous purposes, including cooking, baking, and skincare.
As a result, coconut oil for the face is the new trend in the beauty realm. There are plenty of ways to use this nature’s gift to humanity. You can apply the oil directly to your face or mix it with other ingredients such as natural honey for different purposes.
If you’re looking to use coconut oil on your face, but want to find out how to go about it, this article gives you ways to reap all the benefits of the oil. Keep reading to find out.
1. Face Moisturizer
There are many health benefits to using coconut oil as a face moisturizer. For one, it’s a natural anti-inflammatory agent that is great for soothing irritated skin and reducing redness and inflammation.
It also helps fight bacteria growth on your face that causes acne, making this oil an effective treatment for those suffering from acne.
Here are some easy steps to follow:
- Take 3-5 drops of 100% organic coconut oil into your palms.
- Rub it between your palms to make it warm so that it can absorb easier.
- Apply the oil to your face then massage in gentle circular motions.
- Leave it on your face overnight for full absorption.
2. Makeup Remover
Coconut oil is the perfect ingredient for removing makeup because it’s extremely gentle yet still effective. Moreover, this natural oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent pore-clogging bacteria and breakouts.
- Put some coconut oil on your fingers and rub them together until the oil melts.
- Apply it to your dry face like you would with any other remover.
- Massage your face in circular motions for about 30 seconds before rinsing it off with warm water.
3. Make a DIY Face Scrub
Coconut oil is the perfect ingredient to add to your DIY face scrub recipe. This is due to its exfoliating properties that help to remove dead skin cells, excess oils, and other impurities that may be clogging your pores.
The fatty acids in coconut oil also help to nourish your skin by replenishing it with any moisture lost during the process of exfoliation.
Brown or white sugar, coconut oil, lemon juice, and essential oils.
How to make your DIY coconut face scrub:
- Take 1 cup of brown or white sugar and 1/2 cup of coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and mix until you get a paste-like consistency.
- Add 6-8 drops of peppermint oil or any other flavor that you like best.
- Put more sugar or coconut oil if you need to.
- Mix thoroughly until they are well combined.
It is important to stir this mixture before applying it to your face to make sure all the ingredients are mixed properly and not settled at the bottom of the container.
4. Homemade Lip Gloss
Coconut oil has many benefits for your skin, so why not apply it to your lips? You can use coconut oil to make your own lip gloss. This DIY lip gloss is inexpensive but effective. It’s also easy to make, so you can have a fresh batch of lip gloss in 10 minutes.
Coconut oil, beeswax, avocado oil, essential oils (optional).
How to make it:
- Combine 1 tsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp avocado oil, and 1 tsp beeswax in a small bowl or container.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and melt in a microwave for 5-6 minutes (the beeswax will melt the slowest).
- Remove from the microwave and add a few drops of essential oils if desired.
- Pour the lip gloss into a tube or container and allow it to sit at room temperature.
5. Use it as a Face Cleanser
That’s right. Coconut oil also functions as a gentle face cleanser. It is a safe and easy way to get rid of oil, dirt, makeup, and other impurities on your face.
And unlike most face cleansers, coconut oil doesn’t contain harmful chemicals, additives, or fragrances that can irritate your skin.
Here’s how to use coconut oil as a face cleanser:
- Wash your hands thoroughly so as to avoid introducing new dirt to your face.
- Get a jar of coconut oil and pour a few drops on your fingers.
- Apply the oil directly to your face, thoroughly covering all areas.
- Massage the oil into your face for 30 seconds or more.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel and apply a moisturizer.
6. Use it as a Massage Oil
When it comes to giving yourself a stimulating facial massage, coconut oil is your best option. It also helps to stimulate blood flow to your face by relaxing your facial muscles and hydrating your skin.
Here’s how to do a face massage with coconut oil:
- Wash your face with a mild cleanser so as to remove any dirt or bacteria that might be on the surface of your skin.
- Wash your hands and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Pour a generous amount of coconut oil into your hands (be careful not to pour too much).
- Rub your palms together to melt the oil, before applying it to your face.
- Massage the oil into your face using small circular motions.
- Starting from your forehead, massage all the way down to your jawline (massage your neck if desired).
- Gently press your hands on your face and take long deep breaths (this will help you relax more).
- Wash off with lukewarm water before applying moisturizer.
7. Homemade Lip Balm
Do you want to make your own lip balm? Coconut oil is a great ingredient to use for DIY beauty recipes like lip balm. It is also an excellent way to nourish your lips and make them appear bigger.
You can create your own personalized flavor or fragrance by adding in some of your favorite essential oils, including peppermint, lavender, ginger, grapefruit, cinnamon, vanilla, or citrus.
Brown sugar, beeswax, and essential oils (if desired).
Here are some steps to make coconut oil DIY lip balm:
- Measure out 1/2 cup of coconut oil in a small plastic bowl or container.
- Add 1 cup of brown sugar, beeswax, and any of your favorite essential oils.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly with a spoon, then place the container in a microwave.
- Wait for it to melt, then pour the freshly made lip balm into a lip balm container or tube.
Applying this lip balm every day will give you a luscious pout in no time.
8. Apply it as Eye Cream
Although there are several types of eye cream on the skincare market, coconut oil works just as well as the best ones do. Moreover, it’s an all-natural, low-budget way to give your eyes a burst of hydration and nutrients essential for healthy skin.
- Wash your hands thoroughly, then squeeze a few drops of coconut oil on your ring finger.
- Apply the oil by gently tapping under your eyes in small dots.
- Start from the inner corner and work your way to the outer corner.
- Massage the oil into your under eyes but avoid using too much pressure.
- Leave it on and go about your usual routine (use it overnight for best results).
9. Create a Luscious Lip Scrub
Homemade lip scrub with coconut oil is an excellent way to remove dead skin cells from your lips. It will also help soothe dry, chapped lips while removing the top layer of dead skin to reveal newer lips underneath.
Coconut oil, sugar, honey, essential oils.
How to make it:
- Measure out 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsps of coconut oil into a small bowl.
- Measure out 1 tbsp of honey and add to the bowl containing oil and sugar.
- Add 4-5 drops of some of your favorite essential oils.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon or spatula until it forms a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a small container for use.
How to Make Coconut Oil for Face
- Extract fresh mature coconut flesh from the coconut and grate it.
- Pour one liter of clean water into a pot and add the shredded coconut flesh.
- Put the pot on a stove and boil over low heat for an hour.
- Turn off the stove and leave the milk to cool for five minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a muslin cloth and put a small bowl under it to collect the milk.
- Squeeze out the remaining milk from the shredded coconut and sieve again.
- Pour the milk into a pot and let it boil over low heat for 2-3 hours.
- Keep stirring in 15 minutes intervals until the milk turns to a brown color.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down (be careful not to burn yourself).
- Pour the milk into a container then cover it with plastic wrap.
- Leave it for at least 24 hours to separate the oil from the milk.
- Pour the oil into an airtight container and store it in a cool dry place.
This homemade coconut oil will last for a year or at least 9-10 months.
Can you apply coconut oil directly to your face?
Yes, you can. Coconut oil is high in antioxidants and nutrients, making it great for moisturizing your face and keeping it healthy.
More so, coconut oil is an all-natural and inexpensive alternative to commercial skincare products and doesn’t contain any irritants like most of them do.
Does coconut oil make skin glow?
Yes, it does. Coconut oil can make your skin look more radiant and healthy than ever before because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
It is also a natural exfoliator that helps keep your skin healthy and free from dirt, chemicals, and germs. In addition, coconut oil provides your skin with moisturizing and anti-aging benefits, making it appear smooth, soft, and hydrated.
Can coconut oil make your lips pink?
Yes, it can. Coconut oil not only makes your lips pink, but it’ll also make them softer, silkier, and more moisturized than they’ve ever been before.
When applied to the lips as a lip balm or lip scrub, coconut oil helps to exfoliate dead cells on the surface of the lips, which improves your lip health and allows for smoother, brighter skin to appear.
Coconut oil is a staple in many people’s skincare routines. It is a popular ingredient used in the beauty industry that has been used for centuries to provide the skin with essential nutrients and also to give it a rich, silky feel.
Coconut oil is also very versatile. You can use it to moisturize your face, remove makeup, massage your face, reduce dark circles and puffiness, and the list goes on. It also has many antibacterial benefits that can help in treating skin conditions.
Applying it to your face is safe, in any amount. But, if you have sensitive skin, you should test a small amount of coconut oil on your skin just to make sure you don’t have any reactions before applying it to your face.
Thanks for reading.
Serum101 provides you with useful skincare articles on natural products like this.