Does lotion help acne? You’re probably wondering because you’re in desperate need to clear your face up. I feel your pain. Just kidding, but really. I know what you’re going through.
Acne is caused when the oil glands in your skin produce more sebum than they should, which then mixes with bacteria and dead cells and clogs up your pores. When your skin doesn’t get enough moisture, things like this can happen.
To prevent this, lotion moisturizes the skin and protects it from bacteria by creating a barrier to keep out germs and microorganisms. It can also keep skin supple, prevent aging by creating a barrier against the sun, and help heal chapped skin.
How does lotion help acne? What lotion is good for acne-prone skin? This is what I will discuss in this article. Read on to find out.
Benefits of Lotion for Acne
While lotions are primarily known for their ability to soften the skin and leave it feeling smooth and supple, they serve a much more important function, especially for acne sufferers.
The most important benefit of lotion for acne is that it can help to increase the moisture content in the skin. By increasing moisture content, lotion prevents your pores from becoming clogged in the first place, while also regulating oil production.
In addition, lotion forms a protective layer over the skin to help protect it from bacteria and other particles that can cause acne. It also seeps into the skin to open up pores and exfoliate dead skin cells that have been blocking the pores.
Moreover, some lotions contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur, and resorcinol as their active ingredients. Each of these chemicals has its specific purpose in treating acne and its own unique set of side effects.
Some work by killing bacteria on the skin, while some work by drying out oil on the skin and preventing new acne from forming. With proper use, you will see results within a couple of weeks.
However, depending on the severity of your condition, it may take a little longer for your skin condition to improve significantly.
How Do You Choose Lotion for Acne-Prone Skin?
While there are many types of lotions available, choosing the right kind for your acne-prone skin type is important to see results. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- When choosing a lotion, the key ingredient should be salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients help exfoliate and dry out your pores while also providing hydrating benefits to your skin.
- The best lotion for acne-prone skin will be labeled “oil-free” or “non-comedogenic”. This means that it won’t clog pores, which is the number one cause of acne.
- Lotion that absorbs quickly into the skin is best for preventing breakouts, as it will not leave behind a greasy film on the surface of the skin.
- A good lotion should contain some type of natural oil, such as jojoba oil or tea tree oil, which has been shown to have antibacterial properties. These oils also trick your skin into producing less oil, thereby preventing breakouts.
- The best choice for sensitive, acne-prone skin is a natural lotion that contains soothing ingredients such as aloe vera, green tea extract, chamomile extract, licorice extract, to help reduce inflammation on your skin.
- Go for a lotion with SPF to help reduce inflammation and promote healing after long hours spent outside. The SPF rating on a lotion shows how much protection it provides against UV rays, which are the primary cause of sunburns.
- Choose a hypoallergenic lotion that contains as few substances as possible to avoid any kind of reaction on your skin.
How Do You Apply Lotion to Acne-Prone Skin?
- Wash your face with warm water and pat dry. This gets rid of any excess dirt on your face that could clog pores and cause breakouts. It also makes sure that the moisturizer soaks into your skin more effectively.
- For best results, exfoliate once a week, if not daily. This will help clear built-up dead skin cells from your pores and make sure that your moisturizer goes in deep and penetrates properly.
- Use a toner to disinfect the surface of your skin and remove any leftover traces of cleanser. This will also help to remove any remaining traces of oil from your face.
- Apply a small amount of lotion with clean fingertips, covering all areas of your face, including your neck if desired (avoid using too much product as it can clog your pores).
- Apply sunscreen during the day to protect your skin from dryness and damage from the sun’s UV rays. A good sunscreen should contain at least SPF 15 to 20 to provide adequate sun protection.
Do You Need Face Lotion?
Yes, you do. The skin on your face is thinner and more sensitive than the rest of your body, so a lotion designed for the rest of the body will be too harsh for the face.
The face needs a lighter touch, and it needs special care to keep it looking acne-free and fresh. You don’t need any fancy face lotions for this; just find non-comedogenic face lotion made for oily skin so it won’t clog your pores and promote acne.
Not all of them are gentle enough, so read the label carefully before making a purchase. Apply it as often as you like, but morning and night are best for maximum results.
The best facial lotions will keep your skin moist, hydrated, and smooth. It will also help fight against wrinkles and other signs of aging, such as dark spots and fine lines.
How Else Can You Get Rid of Acne?
Apply a toner
Toners are a type of liquid that you apply to your skin after cleansing it. It helps remove any residue left behind by cleansers or other products you might use.
This is helpful because they help to remove the excess oil that can lead to acne and other problems. Toners can also help your skin look more even-toned, add hydration, and balance the pH levels of your skin.
Use a primer
Primers are usually silicone-based formulas that smooth onto the skin and form a barrier between it and your foundation. They’re also great for controlling the shine on the face. For best results, use an oil-controlling primer on your face before applying makeup.
Avoid harsh soaps
Soaps tend to be harsh and dry out the skin, which can cause more breakouts by making the skin produce more oil. A good face wash should do just fine for washing your face without drying out your skin.
Use natural remedies whenever possible to avoid chemicals that might irritate your skin even more than it already is. For example, aloe vera can help reduce acne due to its ability to cool and hydrate the skin while also reducing inflammation and redness.
Another option is tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic and antiseptic that can reduce the severity of your breakouts when applied topically.
Consider topical medications
If home remedies aren’t enough to treat your breakouts, you may want to consider over-the-counter topical medications. These medications are available in many drugstores and you can use them with over-the-counter face washes and cleansers.
These medications often contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid that helps clear affected pores by reducing excess oil production. Additionally, OTC topical medications containing retinoids may be prescribed by your dermatologist.
Can you use lotion on oily skin?
Yes, you can. Use a lightweight, non-comedogenic lotion that will control the excess oils on your skin without clogging pores or making it feel greasy.
A good lotion for oily skin will also contain salicylic acid. Salicylic acid will help to keep your skin clear of blemishes by helping to remove excess oil from the surface of your skin and keeping pores clear.
Is lotion good for dry skin?
Yes, it is. Dry, flaky skin benefits from lotions that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid, ceramides, aloe vera, or glycerin.
These ingredients attract water molecules to your skin, keeping it smooth and supple. Lotions with retinol can also help your skin look younger by increasing collagen production and reducing excess pigmentation.
Can you use a lotion during winter?
Yes, you can. A lotion is especially beneficial during the dry and cold winter months when the air is drier than usual. It offers a protective layer over the skin, which prevents moisture loss.
Choosing a moisturizer with ingredients such as aloe vera or green tea extract can provide additional anti-inflammatory benefits, besides their moisturizing properties.
Hydration is key to preventing and treating acne, which is why lotions are so important.
Lotion helps to keep the moisture on your skin so that bacteria cannot easily form. This makes it easier for you to fight off any new breakouts that may occur and also makes your complexion look smoother and much more even in tone.
Lotions are available in various types and brands, so you should be able to find one that is suitable for your skin and works best for you.
Thanks for reading.
To learn more about lotions and other skincare products, visit Serum101 today.